Monday, January 5, 2009

The surprise of tidying up



Last week I was about to throw away a large square box. 

I have a lot of boxes in my study with nothing inside them. I like packaging, especially Apple products which are so well done. When I took a look inside the box, I found an old iPod. On the back of the iPod was the inscription 10GB. 

Interestingly the box was next to eight SyQuest disks that have been collecting dust for years. These relics of early computer technology hold a laughable 88MB. I'd need 111 SyQuests to store the same amount of music as this antiquated iPod.

I got to thinking: What does this comparison look like visually. And so I started drawing.

The graphic shows how many SyQuests are needed to hold the music in the iPod (the little orange shape at the top). They are all to scale.

And for the record, I took a photo of the two pieces of technology.

Perhaps I'll take the iPod to the Apple store to see if I can get a discount on a new one. 

Most likely, I'll just keep it ... and the SyQuests.

[click the images to enlarge]



























No comments:

Post a Comment